Friday, November 12, 2010

The Televangelist


Televangelists have always fascinated me. When I was a kid I lived in Baton Rouge, Louisiana for three years. A lot of people say that Texas or Oklahoma are the "buckles" of the Bible Belt, but Louisiana is no slouch, it seems like everyone is into God down there. It was always entertaining to watch Benny Hinn making people faint or Jimmy Swaggart giving some intense speech. I also went to a private Christian academy, not because my family is religious or anything, but rather out of convenience since it was two blocks away from my house and sometimes it got weird. The principal would always stride out to the middle of the gym during assemblies and lead the student body in a group prayer, except I didn't know any prayers so I would just look down and pretend to mouth the words.

This guy is kind of an amalgamation of Jimmy Swaggart and some vague memories of other televangelists. For the cross I sliced up a children's Bible I've had since I was 10 or so. I felt a little bad about doing it, but not really.

No comments:

Post a Comment