Thursday, February 16, 2012

Detroit Streetlight


Here is the last print, post-aquatint. I did the spray enamel method twice over since the first time the background came out too light. Today I did the second one and the dark on top came out very nicely. I tried not to over wipe the plate too much to really let as much ink as I reasonably could come out in the print. I think I can consider this one done and will do an edition soon. Time to start Plate #2.

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

New Prints

Here are some proofs of a new print I'm working on. The first in my Beginning Intaglio class. It is a hard ground etching on a zinc plate. It's a fun process. Cover plate with hard ground, etch to expose metal, put in nitric acid for a few minutes, and when you take it out the acid has eaten away at the exposed areas to create your picture. We are also learning aquatint techniques which I will most likely apply by the end of the week. The subject is one of the awesome old streetlights I photographed back in December. I chose to focus mainly on the ornately designed upper part of the light post.